Sports Why Nigeria lost the FIFA u-20 World Cup - Falconets coach Peter Dedevbo

PIC.3 . FLAMINGOES’ TRAINING IN BAKU, AZERBAIJAN.jpg Coach of Nigeria's Falconets Peter Dedevbo has admitted that they lost the finals of the FIFA under 20 Women's World Cup tournament because his team lacked tactical discipline.

Nigeria were defeated yet again by Germany in the finals of this competition,losing 1-0 after extra time.

Dedevbo confirmed that he didn't speak with the players immediately after the match,as he was being conscious not to pass the wrong message to them.

“I’ve not spoken to the girls yet(he said early on Monday morning), but I will tell them to take this defeat hard and learn from it because we lost this game due to tactical indiscipline,” Dedevbo told Fifa.com

He however was grateful that they went far in the competition,making the finals.

“There are lots of good teams in this tournament who crashed out earlier than us, whereas Nigeria – not generally seen as the best – made it all the way to the final.”

“Today, we had enough opportunities to win this match in the first half alone. But while we had chances we didn’t take them, Germany had one chance and took it. That’s the nature of football.

“We had a great opportunity to win a World Cup with the chances we had in the first half, but we threw that chance away. Be that as it may, we did our best to redeem Nigeria’s image.”

Dedevbo however noted that he will speak with the players when their minds must have calmed down.

“I haven’t spoken to my players yet as I don’t want to say the wrong thing to them now. But I will talk to them tomorrow(Tuesday) once everything is calm and get through the message I want to put across,” he added.

Back