Youth Corper Allegedly Tortured to the Point of Death in Nasarawa Camp

L

LequteMan

Nigeria - A National Youth Service Corps member at the Nasarawa state orientation camp has taken to Nairaland, Nigeria's famous online community, to report of how another corper nearly lost his life due to alleged maltreatment in the hands of security officials at the camp.

nysc.jpeg

“To all my fellow NYSC corp members around Nigeria, today, I witnessed how one of my colleagues, Adeyera Olubunmi (State code: NS/15A/0134)(Call-up no.: NYSC/NIJ/2015/061287) almost died due to maltreatment in Nasarawa state NYSC camp by security officials," he began.

"Bunmi Adeyera who is also Platoon 4 leader and was obviously sick went to the Camp clinic to collect some drugs to combat his ailment and was approaching the camp market to get food (since food was no longer available in the camp kitchen) in order to use his drugs when he was stopped by security operatives (Nigerian Police force and Man’O War) and was asked to go back into the camp hall for lectures,"

"He tried explaining to them that he was sick and needed to take his drugs but they did not listen to him, rather he was told to start ‘frog-jumping’. Bunmi quietly explained to them that he might not be able to ‘frog-jump’ because of his health status," he said.

According to him, the security operatives after a little verbal exchange seized his NYSC identification tag and marched him straight to the ‘Guard room’ allegations of ‘being stubborn’ without giving him any chance of speaking in his own defense.

He said the "Guard room" is a bathroom located at the entrance gate of the Nasarawa Camp where soldiers urinate at all time and with no cross-ventilation.

"We all watched them take the poor sick Corp member to the Guard Room, and was detained there going to three hours. The next thing I saw was people from the camp medical unit running towards the gate with stretcher in their hands.

"Even while the Red Cross team was trying to rescue the situation, the soldiers sent them back saying that all was pretence and that when he wakes up, he will return to the guard room.

"The doctors battled for his life for about an hour before Bunmi Adeyera became conscious again and was later stabilized," he concluded.

He also called for an end to the maltreatment of youth corpers nationwide.

#Nigeria #NYSC #Nasarawa

This is rather too primitive. If there is a binding law on corper not to leave the camp at that hour, and the corper is sick needed to go get food outside then, administratively the corper ought to have been issued medical report for him to have access to get what he wants outside the camp. On the other hand, the security wardens at the gate acted grossly bad, and should be warned.

Back