Politics 16 Quotes Of Buhari's Administration In One Year

P

PressRoom

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari, who marks one year in office today, 29 May, has battled endemic corruption in government, an insurgency in the north by militant Islamists, a resumption of conflict in the oil-rich south and a worsening economic situation.

Here are 16 quotes in which he outlined his leadership style, how he intended to tackle the problems, among other things in Nigeria.

Buhari-at-Villa-4.jpg

1. 'I belong to everybody and I belong to nobody' - Inauguration Ceremony, May 29, 2015

2. 'I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. I am a former military ruler and a converted democract'-July 2015

3. 'If Boko Haram continues with suicide bombings, we might consider banning wearing the hijab' - December 2015

4. 'We cannot build an economy where corruption is the working capital" - March 2016

5. 'I am not going to demand any apology... What I am demanding is the return of assets' - After UK PM David Cameron said Nigeria was 'fantastically corrupt'

6. 'We will stop corruption and make the ordinary people, the weak and the vulnerable our top priority.

7. 'Any war waged on corruption should not be misconstrued as settling old scores or a witch-hunt. I’m running for president to lead Nigeria to prosperity and not adversity. Corruption will have no place and the corrupt will not be appointed into my administration.'

8. 'We will be a compassionate government, for out of compassion arises the truest forms of wealth and progress a society can attain.'

9. 'We shall strongly battle another form of evil that is even worse than terrorism – the evil of corruption.'

10. 'Boko Haram is a mindless, godless group who are as far away from Islam as one can think of.'

11. 'They have to prove to us that the girls are alive, they are well, and then we can promise we can negotiate. We will negotiate if we certify that the girls are alive.'

12. 'Boko Haram is a typical example of small fires causing large fires. An eccentric and unorthodox preacher with a tiny following was given posthumous fame and following by his extra judicial murder at the hands of the police.'

13. 'Religion is a personal affair. If you want to visit Mecca or Jerusalem do it with your personal funds. Sponsorship of religious pilgrimages is illegal, unconstitutional and lack of fairness.'

14. 'You are all my people; I will treat you all as mine. I will work for those who voted for me, voted against me and those who didn’t vote at all.'

15. 'Every new government inherits problems. Ours was no different. But what Nigerians want are solutions, quick solutions not a recitation of problems inherited.'

16. 'No girl in Nigeria should be put through the brutality of forced marriage. Every girl has the right to an education and a life choice.' - May, 2016, while receiving Amina Ali, the rescued Chibok girl at the Presidential Villa.

Back