Politics 2015: Shekarau Warns PDP Against Zoning the Presidency

A

abujagirl

Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau, former Governor of Kano State has advised Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) against zoning the office of the presidency.

Shekarau gave the advice after he emerged from a close-door meeting with Vice President Namadi Sambo. He said, "I have never subscribed to the argument of localising the Presidency to any region. If you had followed my arguments and my presentations, my debates in the presidential election, I said so.

"My concern is, what we do to get the right leadership regardless of where ever the leadership has come. This issue of rotational presidency is not the issue. What we should be talking about is balancing, so that we carry people along.

"If today, I am a presidential candidate from Kano and I tell you my running mate is from Katsina, won't you think I am crazy? Will I have to have that written in any document, in any constitution or in any guideline for me to know that if I am from Kano and I' m a presidential candidate, my running mate or my Vice President has to come from the other side of the country?

"There is the law and constitution of common sense. So, this argument that it has to be my town's man, it has to be my village man, it has to be my region, is all rubbish.

Shekarau pledged to support and campaign for any candidate that emerged as PDP presidential candidate in the 2015 general elections saying,"I am now part and parcel of the PDP family. I will always be meeting with one party functionary or the other to continue to rob minds on how we will move the party and the nation forward.

Shekarau recently defected from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Ibrahim Shekarau,.jpg

Back