Politics 3 Inspiring Things Jonathan Said in His Bloomberg Speech

L

LequteMan

Nigeria's former President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday gave a speech at Bloomberg during which he called for a Universal Bill of Rights for all Nigerians. Here are 3 inspiring things he said in the speech:

1. On conceding defeat to his successor, Muhammadu Buhari

Some may think it is ironic that perhaps my proudest achievement was not winning the 2015 Presidential Election.By being the first elected Nigerian leader to willingly hand over power via the ballot box, to the opposition party, without contesting the election outcome, I proved to the ordinary man or woman in the country that I was his or her equal.

That his or her vote was equal to mine, and that democracy is the ‘Government by the willof the people’, and Nigeria, and indeed Africa is ripe for democracy.

2. On Nigeria's development and creating a Bill of Rights for all Nigerians

For Nigeria to further develop and progress we need peace, freedom and unity.
These values need to be deeply, strongly and irreversibly entrenched in Nigeria for all time.

For this to happen, it is imperative that both the Executive andthe Legislative arms of Government institute a Bill of Rights.

A Bill of Rights that will end discrimination and tribalism, and promote equality, enabling everyone to work towards the common goal for the development of the nation.

3. Civis Nigerianus sum

There is a phrase from Cicero going back to Ancient Rome, “Civis Romanus sum.” Meaning, “I am a Roman citizen.”

But it meant much more than that.

It meant that every Roman was entitled to all of the rights and protections of a citizen in Rome. It didn’t matter if you were rich or poor or even a prisoner, you were still a citizen of Rome and protected by the state.

Wouldn’t it be good for us to aspire to a Nigeria where we too could apply that same principle “CivisNigerianussum”?

Each of us could say, “I am a citizen of Nigeria!”

We would be able to look beyond where each of us comes from, and look past our tribal origins.

We would be able to evaluate each other on our merits, rather than our religion, or region.

We would be free to think or do as we wished, as long as we observed the laws of the land, without fearthat the land would withhold our rights under the law.

What would it mean to be able to declare “I am a Nigerian citizen”?
You would be judged on your own merits, not your tribe.

You would have access to education that can help you succeed on whatever path you choose.

Click here to read his full speech

Attachments

• jonathan bloomberg.jpg
    jonathan bloomberg.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 17
Back