Entertainment 5 Popular Nigerian Entertainers Who Were Once Street Hawkers [PHOTOS]

A

abujagirl

Following the decision of the Lagos state Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode to ban street hawking several Nigerian celebrities have spoken up on how hawking actually helped their lives before Stardom.

See list of 5 popular Nigerian celebrities who were once hawkers :

1. Don Jazzy (Producer/ Artiste)

DON JAZZY.jpg

Don Jazzy who is reportedly one of the 10 richest entertainers in Africa, according to Forbes ranking once hawked on the streets.

“My brother, I dey sell Akara before o. The memory is still fresh in my head,” Don Jazzy confessed via Twitter. The MAVINS boss revealed that he also sold, “Akamu, Agidi, fried yam and plantain.”

2. Mercy Johnson (Actress)

mercy johnson.jpg

Popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson was raised in a poor home. She once hawked sachet water to survive.

3. Solid Star (Artiste)

Solid Star (Artiste).jpg

His family lost their breadwinner when the artiste was still very young. Speaking of his experience, Solid Star said, ''It was just me and my elder brother. So after I finished Secondary school I had to do something to survive. I started hawking at Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA). I was hawking meat pie and sachet water (popularly known as pure water).”

4. Holymallam (Comedian)

Holymallam (Comedian).jpg

When things got tough for his family, he had to go into hawking.

Recounting his time as he hawker Hollymallam said, “My father had to sell our house in Festac and we moved to Okoko. He could no longer pay my school fees. In fact, I was hawking bread and sometimes my classmates would see me on the streets and laugh at me

“It really affected my self-esteem and brought me face to face with the true meaning of embarrassment and intimidation. I also sold eggs and pure water to make ends meet. There were times we lost the respect people had for my family,” he adds with an air of triumph.

5. Ibrahim Chatta (Actor)

Ibrahim Chatta (Actor).jpg

The Yoruba actor and director had a rough childhood. He also had to hawk to survive.

“I suffered so much while growing up but the truth is that past experiences helps in one way or another. I hawked ice cream, doughnuts and even worked as a bus conductor. I don’t have any regrets.'', Chatta said.

Back