7 Mistakes With President Buhari's 'Change Begins With Me' Campaign

P

PressRoom

Last week, Nigeria's President, Muhammadu Buhari launched the 'Change Begins With Me' campaign. The Federal Government said the programme is aimed at educating and enlightening Nigerians to appreciate the values of accountability, inculcate positive attitudinal change. According to them, the campaign will trigger positive change that will boost Nigeria's image, and enable the country gain acceptability and command respect in the comity of nations. However, the campaign has been welcomed with series of attacks from Nigerians and civil society groups on the essence of such campaign in such a time in the country. On a careful thought, here is a list of some things wrong with the President's move.

President-Muhammadu-Buhari_.jpg

1. Wrong Timing: The Change Begins With Me campaign is not coming at the right time in the nation's troubled economy. The economy is in recession. Deadly attacks from fulani herders. Conflicts and divisions in political parties. Inflation. Businesses are shutting down. Companies folding up. Just so much for a nation to deal with at this time than launch of a another campaign when there are other sensitive issues to be urgently attended to.

2. Old Folks:
So many people have questioned the appointment and inclusion of the over-aged men in President Buhari's cabinet – with no sensible consideration to involve the young folks in the nation's polity. Why the President choose to do this is for him to answer. Again, the Change Begins With Me Campaign would have been better welcome if young people constitutes the bulk of the campaign. The President needs to understand the role of youths in a democratic state and running a government.

3. Transparency: The campaign was greeted with many criticisms with many groups doubting the sincerity of the Buhari's administration. Buhari, while launching the campaign said before Nigerians demand to see changes he promised them during 2015 elections, they must first change their ways, by doing away with corruption and other social vices. Why should the Presidency demand change from Nigerians when his government has failed to promote change through transparency? According to BudgIT, a non profit and civil society group, the change should start with National Assembly telling Nigerians how N115bn was spent. The change should start with a cogent explanation of why Nigerian government needs 11 aircraft in a recession. The change should start with the government explaining why it released N400bn for capital expenditure with no project details. The change should start with the government telling people how much funds have been recovered and from who. That's where the change should start from.

4. Shying Away from electoral promises: The campaign has been seen as dead on arrival. It is a stylish way of shying away from the electoral promises that ushered in President Buhari's government. The 'Change Begins With Me' campaign is a neglect of so many of Buhari's promises.

5. Unserious Government: One wonders if the government is serious at all with its mandate and programmes. The story now is of a government that wants everything from the citizens but not giving anything back. How has the government changed its ways? What has been sacrificed? The leadership of the country has not shown the right example to justify Change Begins With Me campaign.

6. Illegal Appointments: One would expect the change to start with the President tackling illegal recruitment into government agencies. What has happened to the secret recruitments in the Central Bank of Nigeria, Federal Inland Revenue Service and the Nigeria Prisons Service? Change should start from there.

7. Lacks focus: What does the campaign seek to address? Nothing practical to salvage the hard life Nigerians face right now. Did the government not consider how difficult life is for Nigerians right now before adding such programme to its list of programmes? What effect will this programme have on Nigeria's troubled economy? Nigerians need an answer.

Back