World Afghan Family Force 6-year-old Girl to Marry 55-year-old Man in Exchange for Goat

kemi

Social Member
A 6-year-old Afghan girl known as Gharibgol has been sold into marriage after her father allegedly exchanged her for a goat, rice, tea, sugar and cooking oil.

afghan girl.jpg

Thankfully, a concerned relative raised the alarm about the wedding which led to the arrest of the groom, Seyed Abdolkarim and the girl's father.

According to the father, he and his family were desperate for food and by selling his daughter he had one less mouth to feed. He also insisted that the new husband of the girl had sworn not to have sex with her until she turned 18.

After the wedding, Abdolkarim reportedly took the girl to a relative's house in Firozkoh, in Ghor province, pretending she was his daughter.

But the concerned relative raised the alarm, insisting Abdolkarim was 'undressing her at night'.

Abdolkarim then told a relative: 'No [she's not my daughter], she's my wife, her father gave her to me.'

Not convinced, the relative opened up to a friend on the matter and the friend promptly called the local women's rights bureau.

Responding to the situation, the bureau says it will pursue a divorce and ensure the father is stripped of his parental rights.

The girl is reportedly now living with her mother.

Women in Afghanistan are allowed to marry from the age of 16, and men from 18.

Back