Sports After Protest, Falcons Receive N4.8m Bank Alerts of AWCON Victory

P

PressRoom

After a protest match to the National Assembly last week Wednesday, members of the Super Falcons, have confirmed receipt of payment of their money by the Nigeria Football Federation. The team won a record eighth African Women Cup of Nations in Yaounde,

The players had lodged in Agura Hotel, Abuja, in protest, after they were not paid their AWCON and qualifying allowances by the federation.

However, after a protest match to the National Assembly on Wednesday, the Presidency promised to pay their money on Friday.

falcons.PNG

The placard-carrying players had stormed the NASS so that President Muhammadu Buhari, who visited the complex to present the estimates of the 2017 budget to lawmakers, would see them and put an end to their plight.

But it was the Chief of Staff to President Buhari, Abba Kyari, who addressed them and promised to offset their bills last Friday. The Federal Government then released about US$1.2m to the cash-strapped NFF on Friday to pay the ladies.

The players told PUNCH that they received bank alerts early on Monday morning, adding that the federation only paid them N4.8m, which they claimed was for winning the AWCON.

The players have insisted that they are entitled to about $25,000 each.

“I saw my bank alert this (Monday) morning and what was paid into my account was N4.8m, which is just for winning the AWCON. They have not paid us money for the qualifiers but they told us that they will pay,” a player in the squad, who pleaded anonymity, said.

Attachments

• falcons.PNG
    falcons.PNG
    711.5 KB · Views: 18
Back