Metro After Spending N1.6m On Phone Calls, N3m Tyre Rim Tears OAU Students Apart

P

PressRoom

Fresh crisis has reared its head among the student populace of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun state over the purchase of a 14-seater bus for about N3million by their union leaders.

About 2 years ago,in 2015, the students' union leaders, budgeted N1.6m for phone calls for about nine months.

Some of the students alleged that the 14-seater bus was bought for a cheaper price, others say the bus was a gift, and that the Students' Union only customised the bus with about N150,000.

upload_2017-6-21_12-57-39.png

PUNCH gathered that the division deepened when a student of the University shared an advertisement seeking to sell the same model of bus for N900,000.

The union officers, who showed a receipt of N2.5m to PUNCH journalist on Wednesday, confirmed that the bus wasn’t a branded new one.

A chunk of the students also complained that the rim of the Toyota bus was that of a Mercedes-Benz.

However, the President of the Union, Ibukun Edward, denied that the bus was bought for N3 million.

He said: “I have seen a lot of posts from some students who said we claimed to have gotten the bus for N3million. That is absolutely not true. It is a total lie. As President, I have never disclosed the amount the bus was bought to the public. I can boldly say it anywhere, I am not corrupt and I will never be. I am not fraudulent in all my dealings and I will never be.

“I want anyone who is interested or anyone who is vast about buses to find out how much a grade one Tokunbo Toyota 14-seater Bus is being sold anywhere and put the amount public for all students to see. The picture on social media was taken after the bus had been used from morning to evening.”

Back