Business Airfares to major cities increase by over 70 per cent

jeff juwana

Owing to the summer rush and increase in the demand for tickets to major cities in the world for the summer holidays, the cost of airfares from the country have sky rocketed in the last few months by over 70 per cent. Analysts predict that the trend would continue till the month of October.

According to reports, passengers travelling from Lagos to London paid between N250,000 and N300,000 for a return ticket for an economy class ticket, depending on the airline and manner of flight. This amount represents approximately a 67 per cent increase on the average of between N120,000 and N150,000 for the same destination between January and March. This is a similar trned

According to a London-bound passenger, Mr. Peter Odoemene, who was billed to travel from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos on Wednesday, he bought a return ticket for N280,000. He said, “Well, I paid N280,000 for a direct flight to London, even though I booked for it early last month. The only way I might have got a cheaper ticket was if I decided to use connecting flights, but I am sure you know the discomfort I would have experienced as well as the number of hours that I would have spent if I went for any of such flights.”

According to Mr. Olugbenga Adebayo, the Chief Executive Officer, Gadeshire Travels and Tours, he advised passengers to book their tickets on time if they intend to spend their summer holidays abroad.

He said, “This period is a time when there is so much rush, and as you know, when there is an increase in demand, there will also be a resultant increase in prices. The summer period is called the high season or the peak period in our business, and it is a time that most airlines try to take advantage of in order to recoup the losses they may have recorded previously.

“So, we always advise people to plan ahead in this situation. If you want to travel for the holidays, try and get your ticket on time; it will go a long way to reduce your stress and expenses.”

Back