Sports Alysia Montaño: The 31-Year-Old 'Wonder Woman' Who Ran 800m Race With 5-Months Pregnancy [PHOTOS]

P

PressRoom

Alysia Montaño recently made the news over her rather daring, unbelievable feat of running an 800-meter race with 5-months pregnancy.

31-year-old Montaño blew the minds of at the USA Track & Field Outdoor Championships.

upload_2017-6-28_11-7-56.png

Montaño, a middle-distance runner, is a six-time national champion in the 800-meter race, ran the race wearing a Wonder Woman crop top that showed off her growing stomach, and flowers in her hair.

Though she came last in her heat, according to the Team USA newsletter, but Montano was happy with herself and her performance.

upload_2017-6-28_11-10-10.png

She said she knew she wouldn’t win but wanted to compete anyway to make a point that pregnant women can compete without harming themselves or their pregnancies. “It’s still a conversation that needs to be had,” she said.

This isn’t the first time Montaño has competed at a high level while pregnant; she ran the same event in 2014 while pregnant with her daughter, Linnea. “I came here last time at eight months pregnant in 2014, and it was such an amazing experience,” Montaño told the Team USA newsletter. She says she chose to wear her Wonder Woman top after seeing the movie and being “super stoked” about it. “I wanted Wonder Woman to represent me,” she said. “When I found out [Gal Gadot, aka Wonder Woman] filmed [some of] the movie five months pregnant, I said, ‘I for sure am signing up for USA nationals.’”

Montaño ran the race in 110-degree heat but says she was careful to warm up inside and was only outside for the race itself. “I’m not super-duper delicate,” she added.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-28_11-10-10.png
    upload_2017-6-28_11-10-10.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 8
Back