Sports American owner Randy Lerner puts up Aston Villa up for sale

T

Titilope Adeuja

Randy Lerner.jpg
American owner of English club side, Aston Villa, Randy Lerner, has put up the club for sale at the end of the 2013/14 season after buying the club in 2006.

Aston Villa ended 15th after losing 3-0 on the last day match to #Tottenham Hotspur and the American believes the club needs new ownership and leadership to get to the next level.

In a statement on the club's website, Lerner said, "I feel that now is the time for me to look for new ownership and thus new leadership.

"Several weeks back I said that following the end of the season I would clarify my future role with the club and address what had become seemingly constant rumours of a sale.

"I owe it to Villa to move on, and look for fresh, invigorated leadership, if in my heart I feel I can no longer do the job.

"I have asked the world of (manager) Paul Lambert and (chief executive) Paul Faulkner and they have both delivered selflessly.

"On a personal level it is time for me to get on with other aspects of my career, following a sale.

"On a practical level, the club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer.

"I've no doubt that the core staff at both Villa Park and BMH (Bodymoor Heath Training Ground), to whom I owe a massive debt of friendship and loyalty, will continue to guide and protect the club through this period of transition according to their collective sense
of professional pride and long term service to Villa.

"Finally, in light of the above, I have engaged Bank of America Merrill Lynch to advise on the sale of Aston Villa."

Lerner who owns #NFL franchise, #Cleveland Browns, bought the club from Doug Ellis for sixty million pounds and has invested over two hundred million pounds.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back