Metro 'Amosun’s Thugs' Beat Up Striking Ogun Workers

kemi

Social Member
Striking Ogun State workers on Thursday alleged that thugs suspected to be loyal to Governor Ibikunle Amosun beat up public servants and labour union leaders as workers started their indefinite strike over unremitted cooperative union deductions and unfriendly labour practices.

ogun workers.png

It was gathered that some labour leaders and union members who had gathered at the secretariat of the state Nigeria Labour Congress around 8am on Thursday were attacked by the thugs.

One of those beaten, who pleaded anonymity, said, “The thugs came in a Toyota Camry and some others came on motorcycles; they descended on union leaders and some of us who had gathered at the secretariat, beating us blue, black.

“The thugs covered the number plate of the car, in order to shield the identity of the owner from being traced. This is sad.”

The state NLC chairman, Akeem Ambali, who confirmed the attack on workers and labour leaders, said he had noticed some people trailing him since Monday after he addressed the press briefing where the strike was announced.

Ambali said two of the labour leaders and some members were attacked by the thugs, who the workers alleged were Governor Ibikunle Amosun’s loyalists.

He said, “This is the first time in the history of this state that workers will be attacked by the agents of the state. We have heard that some people have hired some thugs to attack us. But we thought it was all a rumour. But we were shocked this morning when some thugs came in a black Toyota Camry with number plate LND 555 BD to the place where the labour leaders were standing at Kuto roundabout.

“They beat up two labour leaders, Comrade Benco and Comrade Olayemi, among others.

“The NLC office has been sealed off by 30 armed men, but I have gathered that two cultists have been trailing me.

“My life is not safe and I have gone underground. My life is not safe with this government,” he said.

Back