Sports Andy Murray Beats Novak Djokovic

Murray.jpg

British's number one, Andy Murray, has beaten world number one, Novak Djokovic for the second time in his career; to win the Rodgers Cup title in Montreal.

Murray's first victory over the Serb was in 2013 when he clinched the Wimbledon title for the first time in his career.

Murray beat Djokovic 6-4 4-6 6-3 victory coming in three hours to win his fourth Rodgers Cup title.

A first win over the Serb since the 2013 Wimbledon final will be a huge boost for Murray before the US Open starts in New York on 31 August.

Murray is now set to overtake Roger Federer in Monday's new ATP rankings to return to number two for the first time since 2013.

He dedicated the victory to his coach Amelie Mauresmo, who gave birth to a baby boy on Sunday.

"I'm not sure she will have stayed up to watch this one but, Amelie, this one's for you," said Murray, who won his 35th career title.

"Things can better very quickly and they can get worse very quickly in sport," Murray told Sky Sports.

"It's important for me to analyse this week and work on areas to improve on before the US Open starts.

"I need to make sure I recover well from this and get ready and hopefully play a good tournament in Cincinnati. This match will be good physically and mentally for the build up for sure." BBC

Back