Politics APC Congresses cancelled in four Edo Councils - Chairman

L

LequteMan

The APC Congresses in four local governments of the Edo-North Senatorial District have been cancelled due to the inability of party members to reach a consensus agreement.
The local governments are Akoko-Edo, Etsako-West, Etsako-Central and Owan-West.

A correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) who monitored the exercise reports that the congresses were held in Owan-East and Etsako-East local governments.

The Chairman of Owan-West Local Government, Mr Godwin Aigbodion, told NAN that the congresses were cancelled because party members disagreed on adopting consensus candidates for the positions of Chairman and Secretary.

``The local government congress has been cancelled as party members in the local government area could not reach a consensus agreement on the position of local government chairman of the party.

``I cannot say when the congress would hold, but members need to go and harmonise before the congress will take place,’’ he said.

However, in the Owan-East local government, a consensus was agreed as names of the elected officers were harmonised and affirmed through the raising of hands by the delegates.

The Chairman of Owan-East, Mr Jimoh Ijegbai, said that the council decided to build on the consensus agreement to elect party officials.

``We decided to build on the consensus agreement and as you witnessed yourself, the only position that was contested for is the position of youth leader and an election was conducted.

``The 275 delegates that came from the 11 wards voted at the congress; that is the beauty of democracy.

``Owan-East is one of the local governments that have enjoyed peace since the process of electing a new leadership in the APC.

``We don’t have any crisis in Owan-East and I thank God for that,’’ he said.

The new APC chairman of Owan-East, Mr Roland Edeki, thanked party members for electing him as their chairman.

``I will improve the standard of politics in Owan-East.

``I will continue to work for the progress of the APC at the local government and the state as a whole,’’ he said.

Attachments

• apc.jpg
    apc.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 10
Back