Politics APC Decries Sanusi's Suspension as Illegal

A

abujagirl

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday issued a statement saying that the suspension of Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) by President Goodluck Jonathan is patently illegal.

According to The Nation,a statement issued in Lagos by Lai Mohammed, APC Interim National Publicity Secretary, read, "As the country wallows in unprecedented corruption under the rudderless and corruption-hugging Jonathan administration, the President may have finally decided to send a strong signal to all Nigerians that it will not tolerate any exposure of corruption under any circumstance. What better way to do this than to silence the man who has exposed the alleged missing 20 billion dollars in the NNPC accounts?".

The statement accused the President of selfishness, placing his ego and political ambition above the survival of Nigerian institutions.

"First it was the judiciary which came under his sledge hammer, when he suspended then President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Salami, just to satisfy the hawks in his party. Then it is the turn of the National Assembly, the Police and nowthe financial sector. President Jonathan should not destroy our institutions before he bows out of office next year. These institutions are older than him and will definitely outlive him".

The party said while Section 11 (f) of the CBN Act 2007 empowers the President to remove the CBN Governor, the section is clear that he can only do so if he has the support of two-thirds majority of the Senate. "Nowhere in the Act is it said that the President can suspend the CBN Governor, as he has done in another of his serial rape of the country’s laws".

"Why has it taken almost five years of Sanusi’s tenure for the President to realise the irregularities of CBN under Sanusi?. Why is the President acting on questionable allegations against Sanusi at a time the CBN Governor has opened the can of worms in the NNPC?. Why has a President, who has always treated glaring corruption allegations against his political appointees with so much levity, now so quick to move against a CBN Governor who has never been accused, let alone indicted of corruption?", the APC queried.

The Party also expressed concern that Sanusi's removal will stall economic growth in the country.

sanusi lamido sanusi.jpg

@Jules @Lequte Is Mallam a member of APC? cos I dont get why they are more pained than Sanusi. This will give PDP the ground to believe Sanusi has hidden Agenda. I have always said his a political activist and not a CBN governor despite the fact he claims not to go into politics.

@Jules @Lequte Is Mallam a member of APC? cos I dont get why they are more pained than Sanusi. This will give PDP the ground to believe Sanusi has hidden Agenda. I have always said his a political activist and not a CBN governor despite the fact he claims not to go into politics.
I am yet to see his APC membership card,they could be pained cos some of them like El-Rufia are about to lose contracts awarded to them by the CBN when Sanusi reigned supreme

Back