Metro Armed Fulani Herdsmen Shut Down Taraba [PHOTO]

kemi

Social Member
Members of Taraba State chapter of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, clad with arms, Monday, paralyzed commercial activities in the state as they took to the street to protest against the state’s Open Grazing Prohibition and Ranchers Establishment Bill 2017.

The breeders, who were heavily armed vowed to breakdown law if the bill was passed.

The anti-open grazing bill was sponsored as an executive bill to the state House of Assembly by Governor Darius Ishaku about a month ago.

Speaking during the protest, the state’s Chairman of Miyeti Allah, Sahabi Tukur described the bill as a move targeted to subdue the Fulani tribe and also to undermine and restrict activities of the Fulani tribe in the state.

The group called on the lawmakers to stop the bill in the collective interest of the people of the state. It also threatened that there would be a breakdown of law and order, should the House pass the bill into law.

While addressing newsmen, the Speaker of the state house of assembly, Peter Diah, condemned the threats by the Chairman of Miyeti Allah, noting that the association was protesting in ignorance since the issues raised during the protest were accommodated within the proposed bill.

He described the protest as a deliberate move by Miyeti Allah to cause public disorder in the state capital, as the group did not follow due process, which was the reason security did not allow them access into the assembly complex.

He said: “How can you mobilise for protest and you allow your members to carry arms? The Assembly is an organised place and the security will not allow disorder.

“I think that was why they were not allowed access into the complex, but as a leader who was elected by the people, I insisted I will attend to them, even in the midst of their weapons.‎”

See photo:

armed herdmen.jpg

Back