Metro Arms Deal: I Can't Remember Why I Paid Olisa Metuh N400m - Dasuki

P

ProfRem

A former National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki, on Friday told the Federal High Court in Abuja that he would not be able to remember if the sum of N400m paid to a former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olisa Metuh, in 2014, was for the provision of security services.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, had alleged that Metuh and his company, Destra Investments Limited fraudulently received the sum of N400m from ONSA without any justification and spent same on the party and personal affairs.

Dasuki is Metuh’s eighth defence witness in the matter.

The ex-NSA was questioned under cross-examination by the counsel prosecuting Metuh on behalf of the EFCC, Sylvanus Tahir.

The ex-NSA said he would not be able to confirm the payment of N400m to Metuh or the purpose it was meant for.

He further told the court that he could not remember if the ONSA under his watch had relations with Destra Investments Limited, the company, through which Metuh allegedly received the N400m from ONSA in 2014.

dasukiSambo.jpg

Asked to confirm the content of the e-payment mandate earlier tendered as exhibit in the case and on which his name and signature appeared, authorizing the payment of N400m, Dasuki said, “My name has been typed out there.”

Asked to read out the purpose of the payment as contained in the “e-payment mandate”, he said, “the purpose of payment: payment for security services.”

When the prosecuting counsel, asked, “What services did the company, Destra Investments Limited, the second defendant render to entitle the company, the payment of N400m.”

Dasuki said, “If you want an answer, I still have to refer to my records.

“It would be useful for the counsel to make himself familiar with the NSA Act.”

Back