Sports Arsene Wenger Insists He Will See Out His Contract With Arsenal

Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger has revealed that he's working hard to return the Gunners to trophy ways after admitting that he might not extend his contract with the North London side.

Wenger, who has been at the helm of affairs at the Emirate stadium almost two decades ago said he understands how the fans feel when the club is not getting results, but charged them to have faith in the team.

He also said that he hopes to leave a healthy Arsenal side for his successor when he eventually leaves the scene, saying he wants his successor to hit the ground running when he assumes duty.

Wenger said: "I am resolute to commit absolutely until the last day of my contract to bring back big success to this club, and leave as well one day in a position where it can do even better when I leave.

"That is for me very important that I leave the club in the shape that the guy who comes after me can do better.

"The responsibility on my shoulders is much bigger. I know what it means for people. I know how sad people are when we don't do well, I know how sad people are when we lose a game."

Regarding the team's latest Champions League outings -- losing out to Monaco in the round of 16 in 2014-15 and starting this European campaign with losses to Dinamo Zagreb and Olympiakos -- Wenger urged critics to look at the team's results as a whole over the course of his career.

"I agree that the [recent] performances were not good enough. But we have played over 150 games in Europe. You have picked three performances that were not good enough.

"But if you look at the percentages of games won in Europe you will see Arsenal are in the top five. You speak about Monaco, but they lost against Juventus who went onto the final but they never deserved to lose to Juventus. They deserved to beat Juventus.

"I accept you have to be over-critical when the performances are not good, but look at number of games Arsenal played in Champions League before I arrived and look after, and come back to me."

Wenger again heard questions about his reluctance to spend money in the transfer windows -- especially this past summer, when the club had cash in hand. The Frenchman's biggest signing of the summer was luring Petr Cech away from Chelsea in a move that cost a scant £10 million.

"We are not scared to spend the money -- I know I have that reputation. We have shown in the last three years if the player has the quality, we spend the money," he said.

Arsene Wenger.jpg

Back