ASUP/ COEASU Protest: FG Assures Striking Lecturers; NLC Pledges Support

L

LequteMan

The Federal Government is committed to resolving the face-off between it and two academic trade unions in tertiary institutions, labour and productivity minister, Emeka Wogu, has said.

Wogu gave the assurance on Tuesday in Abuja in an address to protesting members of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) and the Colleges of Education Academic Staff Union (COEASU).

Some 300 protesting lecturers and students of polytechnics and colleges of education stormed the Federal Secretariat demanding that government should implement agreements reached with them since 2009.

Addressing the protesters, Wogu said that federal government had been working hard to resolve the crises in the sector.

"We are almost there, and I want to commend you for your patience and perseverance. I also want to assure you that government has not been asleep for the past few months.

"I want to reassure you that the current government under the leadership of our president has directed me to come and speak with you and tell you the truth that we are almost there.

"Immediately we finish from here, I will go with your leaders back to my office to pass the information and also for us to conclude this thing. ’’ Wogu said.

Addressing journalists, the COEASU President, Mr Asagha Nkoro, said the protest was due to the federal government’s insensitivity to the core challenges threatening teaching and learning in the education sector.

He said that ASUP and COEASU had been on strike for the past 10 months due government’s failure to meet their demands.

"The federal government has refused to implement CONTISS 15 migration that was approved since 2009, and also to pay the arrears.

"They have also refused to conduct accreditation of the National Colleges of Education (NCE) programmes in the sector since 2010 and among others.

In his contribution, Mr Chibuzo Asomugha, President of ASUP, said the future of polytechnics and colleges of education was at stake.

He said it was important for government to show some level of understanding in order for Nigerian children to get the best in education.

Mr Jude Imagwe, Senior Special Adviser (SSA) to President Goodluck Jonathan, called on the striking lecturers to be patience, and commended them for showing some level of maturity.

Speaking on behalf of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Mr Nuhu Toro, Assistant Secretary/Industrial Relation Officer, said the organised labour had pledged to support for the striking lecturers.

Attachments

• ASUP.jpg
    ASUP.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 37
Back