Sports Australian Open update: Rafael Nadal knocked out, Andy Murray and Maria Sharapova through

Former world number one Rafael Nadal has become the latest big-name casualty after he was knocked out of the Australian Open tournament.

The Spaniard suffered a straight sets defeating, losing to Tomas Berdych 6-2 6-0 7-6 (7-5).

And he admitted that he was poor in the match adding that it was not: "just not my day", Nadal said.

"You cannot expect to win matches in quarter-finals of a Grand Slam helping the opponent to play well.

"That's what I did the first two sets. From the beginning of the third, I played with more character.

"More the way that I have to play to be where I want to be, where I have been for the last lot of years."

Meanwhile British tennis star Andy Murray came out tops in his match against 19-year old home favourite Nick Kyrgios.

The Scot emerged tops after four sets with a 6-3 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 victory.

Murray will now face Berdych in the semifinal of the Australian Open finals on Thursday.

In the women's draw, Maria Sharapova overpowered Eugenie Bouchard to make the last four of the competition.

Sharapova had no problems dispatching her opponent in straight sets, winning n 6-3 6-2 in just under one hour and 18 minutes.

ASG-005283 - Copy.jpg

Back