Sports Balotelli apologises for his 'racist' post on Instagram

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli has apologised for posting an image on a social media network that appeared to have contained offensive gestures.

The Italian player put up a picture on his Instagram page, which had anti-Semitic and racist references and has been charged by the English Football Association for that.

Balotelli denied that he intended to be racist with the post, and he immediately deleted it afterwards following the uproar it caused.

"Don't be a racist!" was the heading of the image.

"Be like Mario, he's an Italian plumber, created by Japanese people, who speaks English and looks like a Mexican," the text of the image read.

"He jumps like a black man and grabs coins like a Jew."

However, the 24-year old later apologised, saying that he never intended it to be so: "I apologise if I've offended anyone.

"The post was meant to be anti-racist with humour. I now understand that out of context it may have the opposite effect.

"Not all Mexicans have a moustache, not all black people jump high and not all Jewish people love money.

"I used a cartoon done by somebody else because it has Super Mario and I thought it was funny and not offensive. Again, I'm sorry."

Balotelli.JPG

Back