Politics Bauchi state Governor makes Surprise Appearance at Secretariat, Shuts Out Workers for Latesness

A

abujagirl

Governor Isa Yuguda of Bauchi State on Friday shut out workers at the state government secretariat for resuming to work late and promised to take drastic action against them.

Yuguda who arrived at the secretariat as early as 8 a.m. was surprised to find the premises empty. He was upset after inspecting the offices and discovered that most of the workers were not on seat.

Among the absentees were commissioners and their permanent secretaries. Only cleaners and messengers were found during the governor's early morning visit.

The governor then shut the secretariat gates to monitor late comers.

Addressing newsmen after the incident, the governor said that his government would not tolerate such attitude from the workers, and promised to take drastic measures to curb the trend.

"I am very sad that civil servants are not reporting to work at 8 a.m. which is the time they are supposed to report every morning. As you can see, I came here 8 a.m. and there is nobody in the offices except the Head of Service and his members of staff.

"Nobody else was in the office, not even the commissioners and their permanent secretaries. This is very sad for an administration that placed priority on workers welfare. Every civil servant is supposed to work for eight hours in a day, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for him to justify his salary but as you can all see they are not here,’’ Yuguda said.

The governor said he would discuss the issue with the Head of Service, Mr Abdon Gini, to see how the problem would be addressed. He said there was no justification for spending taxpayers’ money in payment of salaries when the workers came to work very late or not at all.

"As a proactive government, we will not allow this to continue, we will definitely take serious action against this attitude. It is completely unacceptable. I will discuss with the head of service to see what measures can be instituted to address this problem.

Yuguda, who addressed the late comers at the gate of the secretariat, urged them to have the fear of God in the discharge of their duties. He told them to be dedicated to duty or face bitter consequences.

Isa Yuguda.jpg

Back