Metro Boko Haram: How Abducted Girls Were Raped, Tortured and Abused

Vunderkind

Social Member
The girls and women who have managed to escape the horrifying clutches of kidnap by the Boko Haram terrorists have narrated their ordeal.

The Human Rights Watch report has detailed the abuse of over 500 women and girls since 2009. The women and girls have been violently whipped, beaten or killed unless they converted to Islamism.

Others have been raped or forced to accompany the terrorists on their rounds of terror.

One victim explains that they are treated differently based on religion.

"They told the Muslims to stand to one side and the four of us Christians to the other - they released the Muslims but kept us," she said.

Another victim captured by the sect in 2013 said she was forced to help the terrorists to carry bullets for Boko Haram during their operations.

"When they wanted me to kill the first man my body was shaking and I fell down on the ground. They forced me to get up and watch as they killed the second person. At that point I was thinking I should grab a gun from the insurgents and kill myself".

Recently the Nigerian government brokered a ceasefire agreement with the Boko Haram sect which is expected to result in the release of the over 200 abducted Chibok girls today.

Guardian reports:

"A social worker who has dealt with victims of Boko Haram violence told HRW that the rape of abducted women had been underreported because of the stigma and shame attached to sexual abuse in northern Nigeria.

A 19-year-old who was raped said: “I could not tell anyone what happened, not even my husband. I still feel so ashamed and cheated.” Another woman with her, who was also raped, “vowed never to speak of it again as she was single and believes that news of her rape would foreclose her chances of marriage”.

The majority of abductions by Boko Haram were of Christian women and girls, and many of HRW’s interviewees described being threatened with death or violence if they refused to convert to Islam. One woman said: “I was dragged to the camp leader who told me the reason I was brought to the camp was because we Christians worship three gods. When I objected to his claim, he tied a rope around my neck and beat me with a plastic cable until I almost passed out. An insurgent who I recognised from my village convinced me to accept Islam lest I should be killed. So I agreed.”

Click here to read more

Source: #Telegraph, #Guardian

Back