Politics Boko Haram is Unstoppable at the Moment- Borno State Gov. Shettima

L

LequteMan

Borno State Gov. Alhaji Kashim Shettima, after meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan in the Presidential Villa, on Monday, according to Nigerian Tribune, declared the Boko Haram terrorists are unstoppable.

“Well, in a nutshell, what we are being confronted with is that we are in a state of war. It is what I came to update Mr President.

“The sooner we stop playing the ostrich and rise up to the challenges of the day and marshall all resources towards visualising the antics of Boko Haram, the better for all of us.

“But the bottom line is that we need more resources, more votes on ground. In all fairness to the officers and men of the Nigerian Army and police, they are doing their best, given the circumstances they have found themselves.

“But honestly, Boko Haram are better armed and are better motivated than our own troops. And believe me, I am an eternal optimist, as I have always said but I am also a realist. Given the present state of affairs, it is absolutely impossible for us to defeat Boko Haram,” he said.

When asked if the president was aware that Boko Haram insurgents were better armed than the military, he remarked that he had adequately briefed him on his observation.

“I made it emphatically clear to Mr President that the Boko Haram are better armed and better motivated. Anybody who is following events in this country can attest to the fact that they have a very smooth sail overrunning communities, killing people.

“Have we ever succeeded in thwarting any of their plans? They went to Konduga and did what they wanted to do. They held sway for many hours before they left. They were in Kauri, Idzge and I don’t blame the Nigerian military. Honestly, we the leaders should be held responsible for our failure in leadership,” he said.

“In Idzge alone, we lost 106 people and they raided eight other communities. So, until I get back home, today or tomorrow, I cannot give you the exact figure. But some were hospitalised with very grave injuries. So, I am afraid the figures might climb,” he noted.

Speaking on whether 2015 election could be conducted in Borno State under the present circumstances, Gov. Shettima said it is "too early for anybody to talk about election when human lives are involved. Power comes from God and he gives power to whom He wills.

“I don’t care a hoot whether elections are held, but I do care that peace is restored in Borno and the North-East sub-region. So, people should stop playing politics,” he said.

kashim shettima.jpg

Back