Bolt makes U-turn on retirement

World Athletics record holder Usain Bolt,appears to have back-tracked on his decision to retire after the Rio 2016 Olympics,adding that he could still compete one more year after the games.
Bolt revealed that he wanted to retire from Athletics after the next Olympics,but that pressure from his fans and sponsors has made him to reconsider his stance.
“I wanted to retire after Rio,” Bolt told BBC Radio 5 live. “But my fans are really saying: ‘No, go one more year, do it one more time’. Then my sponsors came on board, so I might go one more year.”
“I said it to my coach and he said it’s possible, it can be done. We’ll see.”
Bolt has now set sights on making it a treble win at the Olympics,aiming to be mentioned in the category of sports greats like Mohammed Ali and Michael Jordan.
“That would be outstanding for me,” said Bolt. “I’ve done so much so far and to go and to defend my titles once more would just set me apart from a lot of athletes.”
“I want my name in stone with many other athletes – [boxer] Mohammed Ali, [runner] Michael Johnson, [basketball player] Michael Jordan – all these greats in their different sports.”
“I want to be among these guys when I retire, so that when people talk about sport I’m always in the mix,” the Jamaican added.
When asked his views on athletes and doping,Bolt used the opportunity to distance himself from drugs,stating that he has never been offered one before.
“Supplements? No. I take vitamins only. We have remedies in Jamaica – lime and honey. That’s all we take. Never (have I been offered drugs)”
“As soon as there’s a drugs scandal, the next day or two the testers are always there to check me. I have no problem, I tell [my whereabouts] them all the time. People say: ‘Probably you don’t get tested enough’. If they need to test me every day I have no problem with that.”
“I’m still amazed [people try and cheat] because over the years they’ve caught pretty much everybody. I don’t know if anybody has slipped under the radar but they’re doing a good job.”

Continue reading...

Back