Bonus row: Yobo wouldn’t have changed anything – Keshi

C

Chris Maduewesi

Super Eagles coach,Stephen Keshi,has refuted suggestions that,skipper Joseph Yobo,would have handled the bonus row that engulfed the team better,if he were in the team that went to the 2013 FIFA Confederations.
It took the intervention of the Federal Government,before the Super Eagles aggreed to travel to Brazil in June,after the 2014 World Cup qualifier against Namibia,following the slashing of their match-bonuses.
Some believe that being the leader of the side,that Yobo would have convinced the side to tow another line,rather than threatening to boycott the Confederations Cup,but Keshi disputes that,adding that he would not have averted the crisis.
”I really don’t think the presence of Yobo has anything to do with what happened out there in Namibia,” Keshi told Futaa.com
”Anyone who has followed the history of Nigerian football will know that players and administrators disagree at times,” he added.
” And that happens sometimes in spite of the presence of the leader. “
” I am also sure that some of the players were probably in contact with him, as the captain,” Keshi said.
Keshi further added that Yobo might have even been briefed continually of what was happening in Windhoek: “There is every likelihood that he is aware of what was going on, I am not saying he is, but it’s likely,” he said.
Nigeria’s next assignment will be on August 14,against the Bafana Bafana of South Africa,in the Nelson Mandela’s cup challenge.

Continue reading...

Back