Sports Boxing: Tyson Fury Beat Klitschko To Become New World Heavyweight Champion

Britain's Tyson Fury haas become the new world heavyweight champion (WBA, IBF and WBO champion), following his 115-112, 115-112, 116-111 victory over Wladimir Klitschko in what could be referred to as one of the greatest boxing upsets.

tyson-fury-boxing-hevayweight.jpg

Klitschko saw his nine year reign as champion brought to an end, with the officials unanimously awarding the Briton the match based on points.

The 27-year-old Manchester fighter is only Britain's fifth bona fide heavyweight world champion after Bob Fitzsimmons, Lennox Lewis, Frank Bruno and David Haye.

"You're a great champion Wlad, thanks very much for having me," said Fury, moments after his win was announced in Dusseldorf.

"It was all fun and games in the build-up, I just wanted to be confident, young and brash," said Fury, who had complained about the thickness of the foam under the ring canvas before the bout.

To the delight of British fans in the 50,000-capacity Esprit Arena, he burst into a rendition of Aerosmith's hit ballad I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, dedicating it to his wife and his fans in Ireland, the UK, the United States and Germany. BBC

Back