Sports Brendan Rogers down plays title contenders label

• Thread starter Titilope Adeuja
  • Start date
T

Titilope Adeuja

Liverpool manager, Brendan Rogers has expressed the slimmest hopes of competing for the league title, saying his side should not be labelled title contenders too soon.

Liverpool are eight points behind league leaders, Arsenal, and once topped the table into the Christmas period.

"I think for us, as a team, it's too early for that.

"I was at the Manchester City-Chelsea game the other night and I look at the squads they have - which they have built up over the last few years - and it's very difficult for us, even though we have competed right the way through the season.

"So, I wouldn't say for us this year, no. We wouldn't be challengers for it (the title)."

Liverpool will play the next home game against league leaders, Arsenal, before visits of Manchester City and Chelsea in April.

Rogers believes Liverpool play an important role in the eventual end of the trophy.

"Will we play a part in it? Yes, we will, because we are professional and we want to fight to finish as high as we possibly can.

"We look it and there are six points between us and (third-placed) Chelsea, so there is still a lot to play for and we will be fighting right until the very end.

"But, if I'm asked to give an honest answer, I'd probably say that this year is too soon for us."

liverpool-fc.jpg

Last edited:
Back