Politics Buhari 'Orders' Discreet Screening of 5 Top Police Officers To Replace IGP [See NAMES]

P

ProfRem

President Muhammadu Buhari has reportedly given final nod to sack the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris.

The president is believed to have also ordered discreet screening of top police officers for his possible replacement, Independent Newspaper gathered.

His sack was heightened by top members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) who are said to be mounting pressure on Buhar to do so owing to various allegations.

Independent while quoting Aso Rock source said initially Buhari was not disposed to relieving Idris of his job.

The source believes that the role Idris played as Commissioner of Police, Kano State, during the 2015 presidential election, where APC won overwhelmingly, may be a reason

Subsequently, Aso Rock source hinted that two Deputy Inspectors-General of Police (DIGs) and two Assistant Inspectors-General of Police (AIGs) are being screened for the plum job.

1. DIG Shuabu Gambo - in charge of ‘A’ Administration Department.

Gambo hails from Niger State as Idris, and he is due for retirement in December, 2018.

2. DIG Habilla Joshak - in charge of ‘B’ Operations Department.

He is from Plateau State and is due for retirement in July 2019.

IGP.JPG

3. AIG Lawal Shehu - in charge of Border Patrol, from the same Katsina State as Buhari.

4. AIG Adamu Mohammed Abubakar - in charge of Zone 5 police command, comprising Edo, Delta and Bayelsa states is believed to have been screened.

He is from Nasarawa State.

5. AIG Kayode Aderonti, who hails from Osun State, and is in charge of Zone 1. There are three states under the zone with Kano as headquarters.

Presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina, when contacted on phone, on Sunday, said he was not aware of the planned sack.

He said: “I am not aware if the president wants to sack the IGP.”

When asked, the Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, a CSP, said he was “not aware of any plan by the IGP to remove the vice president’s ADC,” adding, “The IG cannot tell me internal matters. I am the force public relations officer between the police and the public.”

Back