Politics Buhari's Medical Trip Scenario Was Like Abacha's Death To Me – Femi Adesina

P

ProfRem

Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, Mr. Femi Adesina, in an historic piece has explained how God has put Buhari’s enemies to shame by restoring his health after his medical trip in London.

Adesina, in an article on Saturday titled Buhari’s health: Gloating is of no value, likened the President’s ailment to June 12, 1993, presidential election, which was annulled by the military.

He explained how Dr. Doyin Abiola, Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of National Concord, where he was then deputy editor told him not to “gloat” while working on paper production on the death of ex-military ruler, Sani Abacha.

“She said something that both baffled and amazed me: “Editor, no gloating. We have every reason to rejoice that Abacha is dead, but no gloating. Just present the news as professionally as possible. Don’t gloat!”

“I thanked her, and she left. Her instruction continued to ring in my ears, and was followed to the letter. Those who read National Concord the next day would recall that there was no sense of triumphalism, no newsman’s orgasm of any kind, in the treatment of the story.

“Did Doyin Abiola have reasons to instruct her newspaper to preen and gloat about Abacha’s death? Every. He had given the impression that he would take over power, and hand over to Abiola, who had won the June 12, 1993, presidential election, which the military annulled. Instead, he locked the man up in solitary confinement.

“Doyin did not see her husband for five years. Also, Abacha had shut down Concord Press for about two years, causing the company grave economic afflictions. Under him, Kudirat Abiola, one of Doyin’s mates, had been murdered, shot down in the streets, allegedly on the orders of the state. And many more evil deeds.

Adesina and Buhari.JPG

In the article, Adesina noted that “Between January 19 and March 10, of this year, President Muhammadu Buhari was away in London, first on routine holiday where he would do normal medical check-ups, and then, it became a medical vacation, in which he had to ask for an indeterminate number of days.

“Yes, who is he or she that never falls sick, let that person cast the first stone. As the President frankly confessed on his return, he had never been that sick in his life. Human, just human.

“And we know what attended the President’s medical sojourn from certain quarters in the country. Wild news. Hate news. Rumour. Evil thinking. Even, gloating. They did all kinds of photoshops, and spewed all kinds of evil stories. They passed round outright wickedness on WhatsApp, and those of us who debunked their evil tales became enemies.

“When President Buhari spoke with me on phone from London on February 25, I was elated, and issued a press statement, detailing our conversation. Many Nigerians, good people from a great nation, who could get hold of my phone number, called. They would ask if truly we had spoken. Once I confirmed, they broke into tears of joy, crying like babies. They brought tears to my eyes many times".

Culled From Femi Adesina's Article

Back