Sports CAF president Issa Hayatou admits 2015 Nations Cup will not be free of problems

President of the Confederation of African Football(CAF) Issa Hayatou has admitted that the organisation of the 2015 African Nations Cup tournament might not be totally hitch-free.

Equatorial Guinea were drafted in as emergency hosts of the tournament following the stripping of Morocco's hosting rights, after they refused to host the tournament in January/February 2015 because of the outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease on the continent.

Morocco wanted the tournament to be delayed to a latter date till Ebola is sufficiently contained on the continent, but CAF was adamant that the tournament will not be shifted.

"If I say there will be no problems, I would be lying," Hayatou told BBC Sport.

"In two months we can't bring together everything that is needed without there being some imperfections."

He further pointed out worries over: "catering, accommodation, internal transport, international transport and media" but added: "We'll do everything so we can save the essentials."

Hayatou also backed CAF's stance to go on with the tournament, despite fears of Ebola, adding that adequate measures have been put in place.

"If a player is contaminated, he will not get into Equatorial Guinea," he said.
"There has not been one single case of Ebola in Equatorial Guinea, why are they scared? They shouldn't be scared.

"We are not irresponsible. Even us at CAF, we're human beings. Do you think we at CAF would be there if there was Ebola?

"So I say to the African players, there's no obligation to come and play. If they don't want to come then that's a matter for their country's football federation."

Hayatou3.gif

Back