Sports Canada 2014: Falconets will beat South Africa to qualify for World Cup- Elegbeleye

PIC. 2. FLAMINGOES’ TRAINING IN BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - Copy.jpg

Director-General of the National Sports Commission Gbenga Elegbeleye has expressed confidence in the Nigerian under-20 women’s football team, saying that he believed they have already qualified for the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.

Elegbeleye made this known to newsmen on Saturday in Abuja after the Falconets beat their South African counterparts 6-0, adding that there was no room for any fears at all.

The winner between South Africa and Nigeria will join another African side to represent the African continent at the U-20 women's world cup scheduled for Canada in August.

"South Africa is out of the game already. Nigeria will go to Canada to represent Africa, because I cannot see them beating us in the return leg.

"I am certain that we will go to South Africa to beat them,’’ Elegbeleye said.

He said that he believed the Falconets experience in the past editions of the FIFA U-20 Women’s world Cup will help succeed at the championship.

"Nigeria’s under-20 girls have always been qualifying for the World Cup,’’ he said.

The NSC director-general assured that the team would also do better than before at the competition.

"This time around, we will play better,’’ he said, contending that the team had always tried its best at the world competition.

"We cannot say they are not doing well at the World Cup. We have to remember that countries like the U.S., Japan, and Mexico, among others, are also good in women football.

"But all we have to do is to prepare well for the World Cup, and I believe this year will be different."

"I am however optimistic that the Falconets will make the country proud at the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Canada,’’ Mohammed said.

The seventh edition of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup will hold from August 5 to August 24, 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back