Metro Catholic Church Excommunicates Nigerian Priest Who Resigned

M

mrsam

Former priest, Patrick Edet who recently resigned, has been excommunicated by the Catholic church in Nigeria.

edett.jpg

The Church said it was by the notice stripping the priest of all privileges accruing to a leader of the Church.

Patrick Edet, who served in the Catholic Diocese of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, had announced on a local radio station early in August that he would be leaving the Catholic church so he could be ‘free to serve God the way he wanted.’

Before he left Catholic Church, Mr. Edet ran a Pentecostal-style fellowship that attracted a huge crowd in the city of Uyo.

He said leaving the Catholic Church now gave him the chance to manage his fellowship the way he wants, without getting into conflict with his former church, saying 'being a priest in the Catholic church is like being restricted in a box'

“You cannot know God beyond that box. You cannot express God beyond that box. And any attempt for you to go beyond that box brings you label.

“The reason I am doing this is that I want to be right with God first. I want to go to heaven when I die,” he said.

The Catholic Bishop of Uyo Diocese, John Ayah, in his reaction to the development, issued a general notice to the parishioners on August 12, where he advised Catholics to stay away from Mr. Edet.

But he left the church. Did they not get the memo? He is off to higher things... new suit, shoes, SUV, adoring fans.. the call is strong.

ahan ok, they made the announcement in my church as well. @Samuel Arua hes not the antichrist but there are certain values and rules that guides the catholic church and doctrine. I am sure he broke most of them, we will never know as the church wont tell.

ahan ok, they made the announcement in my church as well. @Samuel Arua hes not the antichrist but there are certain values and rules that guides the catholic church and doctrine. I am sure he broke most of them, we will never know as the church wont tell.

He simply resigned as a priest. Why the excommunication? To what end?

Hundreds of other priests have done and are doing worse. When are the excommunicating those ones?

Back