Politics CCT Trial: Prosecuting Counsel Files New Charges Against Saraki

P

ProfRem

The Federal Government has again re-amended the charges preferred against the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

There have been two amendments of the original 13 counts which now brings the counts against the Senate President to 16.

The first amendment which brought in additional two counts was made on April 18, 2016 while the latest made on April 27, 2016, added one fresh count.

The fresh amendment came up after CCT Chairman Dismissed Saraki's Application Seeking His Disqualification

sarakicctt.jpeg

The first amendment added two charges which, include allegation that Saraki continued to receive salary and emoluments as Governor of Kwara State after the expiration of his tenue and at the same time, from the Federal Government as a senator between June 2011 and October 2013.

The offence is said to be contrary to section 6(a) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act. CAP. C15, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 and as incorporated under paragraph 2(a), Part I of the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution.

It is said to be punishable under section 23(2) of the code of conduct bureau and tribunal act as incorporated under paragraph 18, Part I of the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution.

The other additional charge is that Saraki failed to declare to the Code of Conduct Bureau on assumption of office as Governor of Kwara State in 2003, his leasehold interest leasehold in the property at 42, Remi Fani Kayode Street, Ikeja, Lagos.

He was said to have acquired the property in December 12, 1996 through his company, Skyview Properties Limited from First Finance trust Limited.

The offence is said to be contrary to section 15(1)(2) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act, CAP. C15, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 and as incorporated under paragraph 11(1) and (2), Part I o the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution.

It is said to be punishable under section 23(2) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act as incorporated under paragraph 18, Part I of the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution.

ChannelsTV/PUNCH

Last edited:
Back