Sports Chief Anyasi Reveals Why He Stepped Down As Enyimba Chairman

Chief Felix Anyasi Agwu told reporters that it was time for him to move on, after winning close to 27 trophies for Enyimba, most importantly, winning the CAF champions league title in 2004 and 2005 consecutively.

Anyasi-Agwu-1.jpg

One of the very few clubs on the continent to have achieved such feat and the former chairman, who announced his retirement at the helm of affairs on Sunday, he emphasized that some quarters have mounted so much pressure on him, despite the records he led the Aba Elephants to achieve in his reign.

He said "Well, my first reaction is to start by being thankful to God Almighty for making this possible, without Him, it could never, never have been possible. And he shows his mercies upon me 'cos it doesn't always happen like this, it's only when you enjoy grace and mercy that things like this keep happening."

"We have broken a whole lot of records, right from when we won the league for the first time, and being the first club to have won three times back to back, that is a record."

"Haven't won the CAF champions league for the first time after 39-years of its existence, that's another record, and becoming the second club to have won the title back to back, that is another record."

"Equaling the records of Enugu Rangers for winning the league six times, that's a record also, and in the last five years, we've come second three times, missing out one point on each occasion to Kano Pillars, a club I respect so much, that's equally a record."

"So, being able to be crowned today, haven't won the league unprecedented seven times, it's a record."

"We have broken all the records, we won the champions league, we've won the FA Cup back to back, that's another record."

"We have won the super cup, super league unprecedented times, we've broken all the records, and I think if you don't have grace and mercy of God, there's no way one man could just be ordinary lucky, and I will say I'm not just lucky, but I'm someone God has given grace, like so many people God has chosen to give grace, and when you check my background, you will think where am I coming from, you will look at the background of king David as a sheperd and how God has chosen him."

"Looking at me, this small person, in fairness I cannot compare myself with king David because he was chosen by God but if you see what God has done in your own life, there's no way you can't claim that grace, and I can boldly say that the grace is upon me and that's why I've been able to achieve all these records."

"And I believe I have reached my own denumum point because I'm going through too much pressure because a prophet is never ever appreciated in his own town, so, if this pressure will continue the way it's going, I have no business giving back anymore. I think this is the best time to leave, people leave when ovation is loudest, I'm not going to be a coward but I have to make this statement, I've served my state meritoriously, I've given everything that I need to give to everyone, winning 27 trophies. I'm not talking about what assignments we have done with the national team. So, if there's this conspiracy about what should define who i am, and how the club should be run, I think this is the best time to go and I'm not mincing any words."

"Well, I want you guys to understand where I'm coming from, haven't achieved all the results we have achieved, it comes with a lot of pressure, I understand the implication of what I'm about to say and I want you guys to be very fair in your assessment of why I need to take a certain stand, I'm seriously under pressure. Under pressure because some quarters feel I have over-stayed, I have over-stayed by giving results. That's my crime."

"When people think you have over-stayed, I equate it to when you have a brilliant child and your child keep making distinction in his class and you think it's too much, he needs to slow down for others to overtake him. If that's your assessment of merit, judge me in your own book."

"The governor is a wonderful gentleman and I'm very thankful that I was exposed to work for him. And also that he has this kind of incredible support for me, believe in my ability to deliver. But it goes beyond that, it is a system thing, football is a system thing."

"When there's no enabling environment, there's an issue and that has to be addressed."

"I'm nott a money person, never, Enyimba's past successes were not driven by money, if you check, Enyimba and Abia are not the richest state and team in Nigeria. If it's all about money, Enyimba would never have won a single trophy. Don't ever underestimate the ability and skills of individuals and that's what we have done, and I want people too understand that it's a decision that I need to make and I would like to make that."

"Well, what do you think? At Enyimba we built a platform and I will be a fool to have wished differently haven't set up a platform that we have done, built a platform for this year's even without nothing and my serious conviction is that this club must keep moving forward."

"My God will provide"

Back