Cincinnati: Murray advances,Bartoli retires from Professional Tennis

C

Chris Maduewesi

World number two tennis player,Andy Murray has qualified for the last 16 of the Cincinnati Masters,after seeing off the challenge of Mikhail Youzhny.
Murray had no difficulty beating the Russian,dispatching him in straight sets 6-2,6-3 to progress to the next round of the tournament.
Also going through to the next round,are both top seeds in the Men and Women categories,Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams.
Murray will on Thursday play against Frenchman Julien Benneteau in the last 16.
“I prefer the conditions here,” Murray said after the game. “It’s actually quite cool today, but the court suits my game a little bit more here so I felt a bit more comfortable, I moved pretty well.”
“It was an important match for me to get through. Obviously I want to try and get as many matches as possible this week before the US Open” the 26-year old added.
“I only got a couple last week so I was a little bit nervous before the start of the match because it was important to get through this one.”
Meanwhile,the current Women’s Wimbledon Champion,Marion Bartoli has announced her retirement from Tennis.
Bartoli made the announcement after she was knocked out of the tournament in Cincinnati,citing persistent injuries.
“My body was really starting to fall apart and I was able to keep it together, go through the pain – with a lot of pain – throughout this Wimbledon and make it happen,” she said at the Western & Southern Open.
“I have pain everywhere after 45 minutes or an hour of play. I’ve been doing this for so long. Body-wise, I can’t do it any more.”
“You know, everyone will remember my Wimbledon title. No-one will remember the last match I played here,” she said.
“It’s been a tough decision to take. I don’t take this easily.”

Continue reading...

Back