• FOR SALE: One bedroom executive flat, Lagos, Nigeria | Get details]

Denmark, UNICEF Purchase Made in Nigeria Drugs - NAFDAC


L

LequteMan

Guest
Speaking in an interview with the PUNCH, Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, Dr. Paul Orhii, says Denmark now import drugs from Nigeria.

"Before now, 70 per cent of essential drugs in use in Nigeria were imported, while the remaining 30 per cent that were manufactured locally were substandard. It got so terrible that even fellow African countries such as Ghana and South Africa were rejecting made-in-Nigeria drugs. But the situation has changed for the better in the last five years.

"Nigeria is now self-sufficient in terms of essential drug supply, while an advanced country such as Denmark now buys from Nigeria drugs that are used to manage umbilical cord infections among newborns – something that was an exclusive preserve of Nepal before now.

"Indeed, the breakthrough is such that a global organisation like the UNICEF now proposes to buy drugs from Nigeria. And that was what gave us the confidence to ask the Bank of Industry for a N200bn loan to rejuvenate the nation’s pharmaceutical industry. Obviously, we have covered much ground and we are getting there gradually.

#Nigeria #Denmark #UNICEF #Punch

nafdac.jpg
 
Top