Metro Disagreement Prompts Policemen to Open Fire on FRSC officials in Abuja

L

LequteMan

Abuja policemen yesterday shot an official of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in the legs after an argument on who was responsible for keeping routes clear during presidential movements before the shooting.

The FRSC Sector Commander in Abuja, Kayode Fanola, according to Nigerian Eye said his patrol team was stationed along the Constitution Avenue to monitor vehicular movement when a senior police officer from Wuse Division told them to leave the place on the grounds that they were not allowed to operate there.

The patrol team reportedly told the officer they were on official duty and the officer forcefully dragged out the driver of their patrol van and drove it away.

“They informed me of what happened and I sent out my second in command to find out. He met the police officer driving the van along Olusegun Obasanjo Way,” he said.

He said argument begun between the police and the FRSC officials “and the police officer and other policemen in police patrol van, number ACCOS 44 started firing. The van was attached to Wuse division. They shot one of our men by name M. Mundi in the leg. He was admitted at Wuse hospital.”

When contacted the police spokeswoman Altine Daniel agreed that there was disagreement between them and the FRSC personnel “on route lining during presidential movement yesterday” but denied any shooting. “There was argument because the FRSC officials have no right to take part in route lining. But there was no shooting.”

images

Back