Sports Done Deal - Mata is Manchester United bound - Jose Mourinho

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has given the latest indication that Spanish midfielder Juan Mata will sign for Manchester United.

Mourinho in his press conference on Friday revealed that an offer has been accepted for Mata,who is set to complete a medical at Old Trafford.

Confirming that Mata was on his way to seal a move with Manchester United,Mourinho said: "Things are going in a good direction. We allow Juan to travel and have the medical with United. Things are really going into a good direction. I think sooner rather than later things will be done."

"I think this club is a special club and it cares for people. It is very respectful of its players and especially those who wrote history and Juan is one of these.

"This is a fantastic opportunity for him. Another big club wants him in the country he want to stay in, has made the right offer for him, so, although lots of clubs feel you should not sell to rivals, we are different.

"The player deserves respect and to play and because the offer is right, we allow him to negotiate, but we don't close the door."

United are believed to have paid a club record fee of £37million,with the player set to sign a four and half years deal with them.

"It is a good offer. Respectful to us, respectful to the value of the player. That allows to try to bring another players because we need another player.

"We still have a fantastic profit in the investment Chelsea made in the past with Juan and with the two deals Juan and Kevin De Bruyne, we put ourselves in a very good position in relation to financial fair play.

"I asked him when the offer comes are you really happy to go and he was saying yes I am really happy to go. After that we could feel mixed emotions.

"We are happy he goes to fantastic situation but we are all sad as well and some of him was a bit the same."

Mourinho also revealed that they are close to sealing a move for Egyptian player Mohamed Salah,taking a swipe at Liverpool who missed out on signing him.

"I don't know what Liverpool did before us. I know that we contacted Basel before the player and they said that he was available and we reached an agreement.

"I like that he plays right, left or behind the striker, he is young like our players in that area, he is fast, creative and enthusiastic. He is humble and will work on the pitch and being willing to adapt to a new life.

"We lose an experienced player like Juan, but we gain a player with fantastic player."

Mourinho.JPG

Back