Electricity generating football inventor appointed as Ambassador by FG

jeff juwana

A U.S based Nigerian, Jessica Matthews, who invented energy generating football and skipping rope has been appoint as an ‘Entrepreneurship Ambassador’ by the Federal Government of Nigeria. According to the Minister of Trade and Investments, Dr Olusegun Aganga, who made the announcement after the presentation and demonstration of the products to President Goodluck Jonathan, “The product is actually versatile, it is not just about the electricity you see, you can use it to charge your mobile phones and fans so there are so many things for which it can be used.” Aganga also pointed out that the government working on the possibility of manufacturing the products in Nigeria. “What we want to do is to bring successful entrepreneurs like Matthew to inspire the students and make them more creative so that they can also be employers of labour,’’ the minister said.

Matthew, who hails from Edo-State, presented the soccer ball and said it could generate three hours electricity after 30 minutes of play. She also noted that power could be stored in the device for 72 hours and used to power lighting points and household equipments.

Mathews, 25,is the Co-founder of Uncharted play and a graduate of Psychology and Economics from Harvard University U.S. According to her, she was motivated to invent the ball and skipping rope after she witnessed a sudden power outage during a wedding she attended in Nigeria.

“I am a Nigerian and was in Nigeria, it was my Aunt’s wedding and we lost power. How many times, is there anyone who has not been affected?

“For me, I was raised to seek a solution when there is a problem. To be as creative as you can and be opened to different ways so you can address the situation,’’ she said.

Matthew further explained that her choice of using a football stems from the popularity of the football in the world. “To most people, football form is the most convenient; any man on the street will be attracted to kicking football.

She said the innovation, which had been accepted and already in use in the U.S., would be affordable when mass-produced and introduced into the Nigerian market.

“Right now, if we are going to sell it here in Nigeria, it will be equivalent to what you will pay for a solar inverter.

“Right now, we have not started making them here, we are selling them in New York and in New York, we charge people a lot because it is New York,’’ she said.

Dr Reuben Abati, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, said Jonathan congratulated Mathews on her creativity and innovativeness.

“The president is particularly impressed that Matthew is multi-talented, and that she developed herself in science despite that she is a psychologist and economist.

“It is a proof of the quality of human resource we have in Nigeria and the president is proud of her,’’ Abati said.

Back