Sports English Premier League: Managers' Comments, Preview Chelsea vs Man City, Other Fixtures

The English Premier League game is back from a brief hiatus with the FA Cup competition last weekend.

In the last round of matches played in the Premier League, Chelsea and Arsenal appeared to have been the biggest winners with the results that went their way.

While Chelsea did their part beating Newcastle to steer five points clear on the table, Manchester City faltered against Arsenal, losing at the Etihad Stadium as they lost further grounds on the log.

Which makes this weekend's match between the two(Chelsea vs Manchester City) as crunch a tie as it can be anticipated.

With Man City travelling to Stamford Bridge on Saturday, a lot of expectation has been built up already.

There are so many talking points leading into this fixture: the return of Frank Lampard and also the suspension of Diego Costa for the match.

Chelsea are reeling from the fact that they will not be with their key man for the game, already feeling that there is a deliberate attempt to have them fail.

Costa was on Friday handed a three-match ban by the English FA for stamping a Liverpool player Emre Can in their League cup match on Tuesday, with his suspension taking effect from this game.

This led to Chelsea cancelling all their media engagements on Friday to press home their
displeasure, insisting that there is a "campaign against" them.

Somehow, this new turn of events has overshadowed the fact that Lampard will be returning to Stamford Bridge to play against Chelsea, a club that he served for many years.

Having looked to have secured a move to Major League Soccer(MLS), Lampard got his loan deal extended, maybe he has had this game in mind since.

He would obviously get a rapturous ovation no doubt, but what if he comes back to haunt Chelsea, just like he did in the reverse fixture at the Etihad last year?

There is an enthralling game in prospect, and the dugout will be lively just like actions on the pitch. Manuel Pellegrini and Mourinho are not being the best of friends, it will be interesting to see who wins the tactical battle.

If Chelsea wins, they are as good as having won the title, but if City wins, then the Premier League race just got started.

Below we have compiled the comments of some top managers with regards to the matches this weekend.

*Arsenal:
Speaking about his star man Alexis Sanchez, Arsene Wenger revealed that the Chilean is a doubt for this weekend.

"We'll test that tomorrow(Saturday). It's unlikely that I will risk him on Sunday but we'll see."

However, Wenger revealed that their new buy, Gabriel Paulista might play a part: "He's ready to go. He'll be in the squad, certainly. He started his training yesterday and looks fit."

And the Frenchman further added that he hopes they go on an extended run following last weekend's success against Man City.

"That's our target. We want complete focus and commitment, and to be completely concentrated on what we want to achieve.

"We know we have some ground to make up. The fight around the top four is very difficult, so the target is consistency now."

Wenger admitted that they are not likely to sign any more players i this transfer window:
"If I wake up in the morning, somebody stands in front of my door and is an exceptional player, we will open the door. But it looks very unlikely now."

He further added that he would love both Chelsea and Manchester City to settle for a draw in their game.

"When two big teams play each other, you always want a draw. Most of the time, you get it."

"I think a draw would be an acceptable result for Manchester City, because it would keep them in the race for the championship.

"There is still a long way to go, and they are only five points behind Chelsea. With an eight-point gap, it will be much more difficult, maybe."

*Manchester City:
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is hoping for Samir Nasri to be fit for their clash against Chelsea.

"Samir has worked normally in the last couple of days," says the Chilean. "Maybe it's too soon but we will see if he can be on the bench."

"It's an important game, it's not the game that will decide the title because after that we have to play for 48 points," says the Chilean.

"It's not a final. Remember, City won the title in 2011-12 after being eight points behind Manchester United."

However while responding to claims that are they are dependent on Yaya Toure, Pellegrini claimed that they have won games in the absence of the Ivorian, who is currently away at the 2015 African Nations Cup tournament.

"He's an important player but we qualified against Roma and beat Bayern Munich without him. Teams don't depend on one player," said Pellegrini.

*Manchester United:
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal confirmed during his press conference that Darren Fletcher is on the verge of leaving the club.

The Dutchman also noted that Michael Carrick will be out for one month with an injury.

"He is now in West Ham, I believe," Van Gaal said of Fletcher.

"We have to wait and see. He is my third captain, an important guy in the dressing room. I like him as a human being. But he has not played so much."

Manchester United's Twitter account further said: "Louis van Gaal tells #MUTV that Michael Carrick will miss around four weeks with a muscle rupture but Ashley Young is closer to full fitness."

On the issue of whether they will sign more players, Van Gaal noted that they are not in the market for anyone.

"The Dutchman adds: 'Every day I read that I am interested in players. I am not interested in players, only selling.'"

*Chelsea:
There was no press conference from Chelsea this week after they cancelled it in protest of Diego Costa's ban.

Fixtures:

Saturday January 31, 2015 - PREMIER LEAGUE
Hull vs Newcastle
Crystal Palace vs Everton
Liverpool vs West Ham
Man Utd vs Leicester
Stoke vs QPR
Sunderland vs Burnley
West Brom vs Tottenham
Chelsea vs Man City

Sunday February 1, 2015

Arsenal vs Aston Villa