Metro Ex Air Chief: We Hired Ukranian Mercenaries Disguised as Instructors to Fight Boko Haram

L

LequteMan

Air Vice Marshall Mohammed Alkali Mamu, a former Chief of Administration at the Nigerian Air Force headquarters, on Friday revealed in court that foreign mercenary pilots were engaged to combat Boko Haram terrorists, disguised as instructors.

Led in evidence by his counsel, Chief Joseph Daudu (SAN) in a four-count charge bordering on bribery brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mamu said the office of the National Security Adviser decided to assist the Nigerian Air Force by engaging these mercenaries due to “the terrible performance of our armed forces at the height of the war against Boko Haram towards the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2014.”

“I was in Ukraine when this covert and sensitive military assignment was given to one Hima Abubakar of Societe D’Equipments Internationaux Nigeria Limited (the company EFCC said he received the bribe from) by the NSA. Abubakar identified three mercenary fighter pilots, soldiers of fortune and veterans of many wars willing to take up this job,” he said.

Mamu said with the introduction of the mercenaries, the Nigerian Air Force was able to commence night bombardments of Boko Haram with devastating effect. “Sadly, nearly three months after, one of the Ukrainian fighter pilots, Captain Chup Vasyl crashed while on night combat and died. I was ordered by the Chief of Air Staff to inform Abubakar and there was the need to make payment to the family of the late pilot as the insurance cover was not fully processed at the time of the accident. I consequently wired the sum of $100,000 to the family of late Cpt Vasyl,” he said.

The trial has been adjourned to November 6.

Attachments

• Air_Vice_Marshal_Mohammed_Alkali_Mamu.jpg
    Air_Vice_Marshal_Mohammed_Alkali_Mamu.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 7
Back