Politics Explosion Rocks Former Imo Governor, Ikedi Ohakim's Home

A

abujagirl

On Thursday, parts of a building belonging to a former Governor of Imo state, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, was destroyed by an explosion. The roof of the house and some parlours were damaged.

Speaking to journalist after the incident, Ohakim who was not in the building when the incident happened said that his security men called to alert him of the development.

"At about 1.30a.m. my security men alerted that they heard a loud bang like an explosion followed by huge flames which engulfed the house. When I got here, I met the rubbles of what used to be my home,’’ he said.

"You are all aware, this is my only house in Owerri and it was built even before I became the governor. What it means now is that anytime I have to be in Owerri, I will be begging people for where to sleep in a state I once presided as a governor.

The former governor who condemned the destruction of his house, described the development as a ploy by his political opponents to deter him.

"I think what triggered this action is my intention to make a political statement on Saturday. I don’t know how they did it but I will leave that for the security agencies to investigate. When I was the governor of the state, I did not assassinate any opposition member, neither did I harass anyone.

"I even took care of the opposition in the state but they have done this to intimidate me. I will still go ahead and make my political statement as planned on Saturday because I refuse to be cowed by this incident,’’ he said.

However, the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Andrew Enwerem, said there was no evidence of an explosion at the scene.

He said there was some damage on the building but that it was caused by fire.

ohakim (640x578).jpg

Back