• FOR SALE: One bedroom executive flat, Lagos, Nigeria | Get details]

Metro False Alarm: DHQ Withdraws Statement Claiming Chibok Girls Had Been Rescued


Vunderkind

Social Member
✅ NEW - car park, swimming pool, 24 hours light/security and more.
In an earlier Premium Times report, the Defense Headquarters confirmed its rescue of the abducted Chibok girls.

Chris Olukolade, spokesperson for the defense headquarters had told the news agency that an undisclosed number of the girls had been freed and driven in two Toyota Hiace buses to Maimlari barracks Maiduguri HQ for the army's seventh division.

We read that less than 30 minutes after he said this, Mr Olukolade called to withdraw his earlier statement.

Premium Times says: "He said he had been having difficulty establishing contact with his colleagues in Maiduguri and that he was no longer sure that the girls driven into the barracks were newly rescued. Mr. Olukolade had told this newspaper the girls had been freed and that the rescue exercise was still ongoing and that appropriate statement would be made later.

PREMIUM TIMES has also learnt that the girls driven into the Maimalari barracks were those who escaped earlier from the Boko Haram sect. The over 200 girls, mostly teenagers, were kidnapped from their secondary school in Chibok, Borno State, on April 14.

With the military withdrawing its statement, it now does appear the girls are still in captivity."

BBC, meanwhile, has said the military did rescue girls, but not the Chibok girls as initially believed: "Army spokesman Brig Gen Chris Olukolade told the BBC there were girls in military custody, but not those from Chibok as originally thought."
chibok-girls-300x194.jpg
 

Vunderkind

Social Member
Sahara Reporters says no girls were rescued at all. Rather, the earlier-escaped Chibok girls (from months ago) were simply being transported to Kaduna for schooling.
 
Top