Metro Falsely Charged: Police Arrest IPO for False Arraignment

Sandra Chiefe

Inspector Alagbe Olumide, an Investigating Police Officer (IPO), confessed to have false arraigned an innocent man for murder after three weeks and has been arrested by the Lagos State Police Command and has remained in detention since the 30th of July, 2013.

Olumide told Ebute Meta Magistrate Court, how he was forced to arraign
Ayodimeji Alegbeleye, 29, the innocent man, for the murder of James Igbahan in January 2013. Olumide had made his confession when the accused pleaded not guilty on the two count charge laid against him, and has protested his arraignment. The magistrate, Mrs. M.O Tanimola, reported summoned Olumide to give an account of what had transpired.

In his confession, Olumide had revealed that he had been forced to arraign Ayodimeji Alegbeleye, even though investigations revealed that the false accused had only been friends with the deceased. He said, “The police authorities said I should charge him with murder. I told them that my investigation showed he was not part of it, but they insisted that I should charge him.”

Even after the case was struck out, Ayodimeji Alegbeleye has been rearrested by the SCID. An orderly room trial has commenced for Olumide. When the Lagos State Police Command, Mr. Umar Manko was asked to comment, he said only, “An internal investigation is going on in respect of that case."

Back