Sports Federations Cup: MVP Award Excites Akwa United's Abdulafeez Awakan

Nigeria Federation's cup most valuable player, Abdulafeez Awakan has expressed happiness after helping his side to their first FA Cup title, beating Lobi Stars 2-1 at the Teslim Balogun stadium on Sunday.

Abdulafeez Awakan.jpg

The second half substitute scored his side winning goal with a powerful volley from a poor clearance from Lobi's defence, which also earned the Promise Keepers a ticket to participate in continental championship next season.

Awakan also. Attributed his side's success to the help of God, hard work from the team and most especially, the support given to them by the past governor, Akpabio and the incubent one before and after the final.

He disclosed that senator Akpabio splashed a hundred thousand naira each on them for reaching the final and here they are, winning the title for the very first time.

"Winning the federation's cup makes me happy and I give thanks to almighty Allah for what He has done for me, because without his power, I can't do anything and that's it."

"It has been God, not by anyone's power or expertise, but just God."

"Playing in the continental championship next season will further expose our game and we are looking forward to it."

"Having the governor watch us play was enough motivation for us, even the former governor came to our hotel before the game and gave each player a hundred thousand each and that was more than enough motivation to win the trophy." Awakan said after the. Game on Sunday

Meanwhile, he was unsure if he would still be playing at the nest of champions next season saying he's eyeing a move to Warri Wolves if it comes.

Back