Sports Federer admits Nadal can surpass his record

Former world number one tennis player Roger Federer believes that arch-rival Rafael Nadal can surpass his 17-grand slam wins,with the Spaniard having won 13 grand slams in his career.

However,Federer said that he still has the hunger to compete at the top level and challenge for titles,despite going to be 33 years old this year.

Nadal is 27 and appears to have age on his side to reach the records of Federer,who he currently trails with four more trophies to equal.

“Could Rafa (Nadal) eclipse my (Grand Slam) record? Yeah, absolutely,” Federer told ESPN.

“But the good thing is I am still playing and my goal is to add more titles to my count – and not just Grand Slam titles. I love any tennis tournament I play in and Dubai is an important tournament for me.”

Meanwhile Nadal defeated Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-3 7-6 (7-3) in the Rio Open final on Sunday.

Nadal marked his return from injury with the win in Rio,after being out for almost four weeks since losing the finals of the Australian Open to Stanislas Wawrinka.

Federer2.JPG

Back