Politics FG Approves N1bn for Upgrade of Insurgents’ Detention camps

L

LequteMan

President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday in Paris in a late evening interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) and France 24 Radio said Federal Government had approved the disbursement of N1 billion to the military to upgrade detention camps for insurgents across the country.

Jonathan said he approved the disbursement of the fund following series of complaints by local and international human rights groups on the conditions of barracks which housed the detention camps.

Specifically, the President said, he was concerned about human rights report on the situation of Giwa barracks in Maiduguri, where some of the suspected Boko Haram detainees were kept.

“They were talking about conditions in the barracks and because of that, not quite long, I released N1 billion to make sure that they expand the facilities in detention camps, particularly the camp in Giwa Barrack in Maiduguri that they complain about.

“The Boko Haram suspects are being detained in a number of places, not only the Giwa barracks.

“So, following complaints that I received about that particular barrack, I called the Chief of Defence Staff to go and use the army engineers to quickly expand and improve the facilities so that people arrested will live under normal human conditions.’’

The President noted that reports of human rights abuses by the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) were over-bloated by the media.

The President disclosed that the recent attack by Boko Haram in Maiduguri had confirmed that the group has international backing.

He said the operations of the sect had gone beyond the local militia group which it was hitherto classified as.

President Jonathan said ``government is working on available clues to unravel the external supporters of the sect.’’

He appealed to the international community to assist the government in tracing the sources.

Jonathan added that government had not foreclosed the option of dialogue with the sect if that would end the insurgency.

He, however, noted that while government was still open to dialogue, military operations would continue to protect the lives and property of citizens.

Boko-Haram-Suspects-300x231.jpg

Back